Friday, 3 March 2017

Custom Modern Lighting

Excuse the dog hair in the corner.. can't be avoided in my house. I have little helpers. :)

So I got inspired by my friends over at the Greenleaf forum, to try my hand at making a modern light fixture. This was the result.

To be honest I'm so happy with this fixture that I might have to rethink the entire lighting plan for the San Franciscan.

In fact I'm stretching the truth to say I custom made it, because it's essentially constructed out of pre-made components, super glue & spray paint.

It's incredibly simple but incredibly effective.

So forum member SewMini asked about modern fixtures and pointed to this one as an example of what she was looking for.



Later that day I was in my local Choice store (Australian version of a dollar store, though hardly anything costs only a dollar. ;) ) and found these balls in the craft section

img_2767
Wire balls from Choice

I thought the smaller balls would be great for pendants and the larger ones for a statement light in the middle of a room.

img_2771
Smaller pendant size
I wanted to use the smaller size to start but I didn't have any G.O.R bulbs so I had to raid my lights stash for a fixture and that meant, I had to use the larger wire ball if I had any hope of fitting it within the structure.

I tried to replicate the fitting in the inspiration piece by attempting to shove a simple 3 arm chandelier into the wire ball... umm.. no.. that didn't fit... so I rummaged some more and came up with one of these ball pendants. I actually think if I make another light, I would try to find a half scale 3 arm chandelier and change out the chain for a 1:12 scale one to get the look above.

Got this picture from the web because I forgot to take a before pic.. 😳

I ditched the bottom spindle taped off the ceramic bulb and spray painted it silver using Rustoleum "Satin Nickel".

I also sprayed the wire ball, so that there would be continuity of colour. I actually prefer the silver of the original ball but getting that finish in paint would be near on impossible and they just don't seem to make many dollhouse fixtures in silver. If I used G.O.R bulbs or GOW bulbs I would have been able to keep the colour as long as I could find a tiny chain to match. Much easier!

I think this light could also look great in a antique copper colour or black for a more industrial feel.

Once everything was dry I tested the light to make sure it worked. then worked the wire apart in one section and pushed the ball pendant through. I then re-positioned the wires over the hole and strategically centred one wire at the top to attach the chain ring to. A dab of superglue does the job of holding the pendant chain to the ball. but you could use a bit of jewelry wire also or you could fashion the wire of the ball so that the top of the fixture holds it on.

You will need to fiddle with the chain ring a bit to make sure the pendant sits straight and centre in the ball. It helps to hang the fixture from something for this step as the weight of it hanging helps and you will get a true indication of how it will hang in your dollhouse.

For light bulb changing, just snap off the glue (this is the reason for just a dab) and pull the bulb out. Change the bulb re-assemble and glue or use other connecting options as above.



No comments:

Post a Comment