Sunday, 19 February 2017
So I've had a little bit of progress on the basement (Please excuse the state of my craft room!)
I took the original foundation off the house (tip: vinegar works well to loosen glue. Drizzle a little on both sides of the joint and wait a while for it to work it's magic. Eventually you will be able to pull the pieces apart with a bit of muscle.)
As you can see I've cut the out the garage door and given it a coat of primer. I haven't cut out the basement apartment's door yet because I'm not exactly sure where it will go on what remains of the wall. Ideally I would have wanted it directly under the other doors but the Garage door took up a bit more space than expected so it can't actually line up. I might be able to get it close by having the garage and the door share the trim between it but there are some internal struts/runners that allow the garage door to work and they may impede the operation of the door... The other option is to centre it on what remains of the wall... not particularly happy with that option either. I think I will have to wait a little while.. figure out the stair configuration and landscaping design and then revisit it.
I chose a french door style for the Basement even though it's not very security conscious :) because the basement will have limited windows and it will be kind of doing double duty as a door & a light source. :)
Currently these are the only other windows in the basement. So you can see my need for the door! The Garage side will get a larger window as it is on the low side of the imaginary hill. (This house will be on a landscaping board that will simulate a hill, like most San Franciscan row homes!) The ground level on the Apartment side will be just below those basement windows & the chimney I am yet to make will fit snugly between them.
Slow progress I know but... baby steps! :)