I have started work on the basement ceiling. I want to install lights so needed to get this detail done first so I wasn't trying to decorate around them. The room below is my inspiration for both the ceiling and floor of the basement so I'm attempting to achieve a similar look.. though mine has turned out not quite as rustic as I would like, I'm still happy with it so far.
|(photo from Skeppsholmen Sotheby's International)|
After laying down some painted wood flooring veneer for the ceiling finish I spaced out my beams and decided on four. This was mainly determined by wanting to make sure light placement wouldn't interfere with them, particularly on the apartment side.
The basement apartment beams will need to be cut to fit around the bathroom, but for now I just wanted placement.
The whole you can see on the diagonal wall will be a little frosted window to allow light into the shower area but still give the inhabitant some privacy. :D
Moving right along..... I've started laying out the brick flooring. Nothing is glued down yet. Just cutting and measuring for the room. I will age this floor with paints and aging techniques once I glue it down. It's a bit too red for my liking at the moment.
I'm using 2 x Houseworks Common Brick sheet #8201 to complete this job. They come ready to go on a net backing so the bricks are all spaced evenly. A big time saver from laying individual bricks. I did consider other options such as egg carton (which I love) and cutting them from builders foam, but I just felt for a floor I needed something more sturdy. The time saving aspect of not having to cut and lay individual bricks is a bonus that was well worth the additional cost... at least for this job. Egg carton will make an appearance again in other places. :)
They will require some cutting and piecing due to the shape of my room and of course half bricks for around the walls which brought me to my next dilemma.... how to cut these little clay bricks?? I tried to score and break them with mixed success. Then I tried using my mini bandsaw... ummm.. no... Apart from not having the right blade, having my fingers that close to a running saw didn't appeal sooo.. Off I went to the Greenleaf forums for advice, where the ever helpful members put me on to these little gems - End cut nipper jewelry pliers. Work like a charm. :)
As these bricks are quite thick, I had to sand a bit off the bottom of my doors to make sure they clear the brick height. Also checking above that there is enough room for door trim between the bathroom wall and garage door opening. Yes there is. :)
The downstairs tenant dropped by to check out the renovations progress... It would be nice if he put some clothes on next time. :) At least he wore his undershorts.. Let's just say he's quite realistic in EVERY way. lol
All the full bricks in place.. just need to cut a few more half bricks to finish off the left hand wall.. Nice of the tenant to wear some shorts for his return visit. I need to buy him a t-shirt. :)
Also testing out lighting locations. The tenant seems to like this fixture.
Some of the bricks in the sheet had their corners broken which I don't mind because I like that tumbled brick look when grouted. I may even chip a few more when I'm aging them. :)
The light fixture started out brass but I spray painted it an aged bronze colour and then gave it a wash of black paint to darken it a bit more. I like the fixture but I didn't realise it came with bi-pin bulbs when I bought it. I'm not really a fan of those, but now I need to get some replacements. I've already burnt one out? Not sure how that happened.
The kitchen units are just mocked up to help with the kitchen light placement. I still need to make counter tops, add the one upper cabinet this kitchenette is getting and some open shelving on the wall. I also have meile half fridge to go at the end near the stove top. I might even continue the counter over the top of it to make it like a built in.
The kitchen light is a simple bulb with the base painted the same colour as the other fixture. You can just make out the ceiling planks in this picture.
The garage ceiling beams are in. Still need to add stripwood trim around the wall/ceiling joins, but it's coming along. I bought some rubber drawer liners from the hardware store that looks just like teeny tiny coin mat. It reminds me of that rubberised treatment you see on some nicer garage floors. So I think I'll try it out as a flooring for the garage. It would be nicer if the garage had brick flooring too.. But buying clay bricks for the garage floor might be a bit extravagant. :)
I don't know why these particular pictures turned out so blurry, I took heaps and they all were the same. I'll try to get better ones next time. :)
This is the bathroom assembly in situ. As I said earlier there will be a frosted window in the diagonal wall. I think the flooring will be some JR industries round white tile and the back wall and diagonal wall which are part of the shower stall, will get "marble" subway tile floor to ceiling. I've been busily cutting it from a large vinyl tile I got at Bunnings for less than a dollar. Bargain!
Lots of cutting!
I may use these for back-splash also.. Not sure, I will need to see what they look like on the walls first.
Ok that's it for now, I need to get back to it. :)