I took a break from the basement, to work on the San Franciscan's front yard tree. I've been having a bit of a saga trying to find appropriate scale leaf foliage that I don't have to punch and paint, leaf by leaf myself... I'm far to lazy for that caper. :D
I really wanted to use CandyTuft as Brae from Otterine Miniatures does but apparently it's considered a noxious species in Australia and therefore can't be imported.. Of course it is... *rolls eyes*
I trolled around on Australian dried flower websites for weeks, but found nothing I thought was suitable. Incredibly frustrating.
I also tried dried moss with model railroaders leaves.. but they just looked out of scale and clumpy.
My last adventure involved drying leaves from a tree in my backyard in the Microwave.. cheap option, if a little dangerous. 😜 ...It had the unexpected side bonus of making my entire house smell like Eucalyptus. :)
They looked ok and I especially liked the little nuts that were on the branches but it wasn't really the look I was going for and it was just too brittle. Clutzy old me kept knocking leaves off left, right and centre.
During all of these trials I had been scouring the fake flower sections of all my local craft and junk shops looking for appropriately scaled plastic or silk foliage. Last week, I finally hit upon these leaf sprays at Spotlight. They have the inspiring name of... "mini leaf hanging bush" lol
I bought four. Hopefully that will be enough to cover the tree sufficiently. I don't expect it to have dense foliage but a good overall cover would be ideal.
I deconstructed the "bushes".
They handily unplugged at a convenient spot so I don't think I will have to cut them up any smaller.
Now to try them on the tree.... Whoa!.. A bit wild lol.. and still a little sparse.
That's OK.. I'll trim off the tree in a rounder shape and use the off cuts to fill in the spaces.
Getting there but still more shaping to do.
Skittle dropped by for a visit. :)
OK, time to pull all the leaves off and give them some paint.
I gave the leaves a light dusting of a sage green satin paint. Just to take the edge of the bright forest green. Then I painted the stalks brown using Americana Chalk paint in "Rustic".
Out the back with a drop sheet we go and....Yikes! What a job.. It took me about six hours to paint this lot.... and I've only done one side! The rest of that job is for another day. My back couldn't stand it any longer.
The tenant's a little annoyed that I'm working on Skittle's house and not his.