First up... I built the banquet for the breakfast nook... formerly known as the bay window. I thought this area was screaming out for some built in seating, it's a generous bay and a perfect little spot to have your morning coffee, while listening to birdsong (the birdsong of the city, wailing sirens.. lol) or watching skittle the squirrel running up and down the front yard tree....
I kept all the punch outs from the San Franciscan's numerous windows as I thought the wood would come in handy and it's been very useful in the kitchen area.
I used it to build the stove hood and now I've used it to build my little banquet. I don't like measuring so I used a zjakazumi doll in a sitting position to determine the height of the seat in conjunction with the table I intend to use. As well as the seat depth required
I started out with the two pieces in the middle and glued them perpendicular to each other and cut them to the right height and depth. Then I pushed them into the bay area to determine the cuts for the side seats and glued them in too.
Then I added the side seat verticals and the front facing pieces.
Now that I had the basic shape glued together I just had to fill in those little triangles.
Oops, forgot to check it with the floor in. Phew, it still fits!
And with the table.
All those joins got an extra coat of spackle after this picture was taken.
I mocked up three rough cushions to determine what fabric to use for the seat cushions.
Jodi had the wonderful idea to make several sets in different fabrics for different moods/seasons/holidays and that is definitely on my mini agenda.
And here's what it looks like with the windows in and table placed. .. I'm actually really loving it!
In other news... These walls and ceiling are now glued down! I really would have preferred to do the window trim and the baseboard before glueing the ceiling in but the construction of this house wouldn't allow that, so I'll be using my full repertoire of colourful language to complete those jobs. :D
Next, as hinted in the first picture.. I moved onto the stairs... I had already painted and stained the risers and treads and added the trim detail to the sides earlier.. but I had been putting off installing the balusters and rails.. 1. Because I knew they wouldn't be installed for a while and I didn't want to break them whilst they were stored. 2. Because this job scared the heck out of me. It seemed to me it would be akin to herding cats to get all those balusters to line up to the railing and get it all on the right angle and straight.. and I was right! lol
I started out with my painted balusters and newels and my trusty glue... I should have added a stiff drink to the tool box.
I measured (ugh) the treads and determined the spot for the corresponding hole and drilled. (broke my drill on the last hole.. lol)
Then inserted the baluster.
One down, 11 to go!
I notched out the stair tread to fit around the door trim and also so the newel post could sit flush with the first riser. There is not alot of space in the entry and I wanted the newel to take up as little room as possible. I first tried to notch out the newel so it would be half on the step and half on the ground but the rail wouldn't meet up and the notching ended in disaster with a ruined newel. I'll have to rummage through my stash for one for the top of the stairs. Given I've got another staircase to install on the next level I better check if I have enough left to finish the job. Otherwise another quirky aspect of this house will be mismatched newels. Ha!
Note the Newel post doesn't touch the ground. This is because I couldn't get the bannister to line up with it at normal height. (this wasn't the newel post that came with the stairs - must check heights in the future.) I think this is an easy fix though. I'll be adding a rounded block to the bottom of the newel which will have the added bonus of adding a little extra custom detail. :)
And finally a quick update on the basement apartment's lighting. A few suggested that the tenant might benefit from a reading light in his loft bed area. So I made one up from some random hardware I had in my stash and a wired bulb.
I have more progress to show but I'll finish here for now.